About 8 weeks back my friend sent me the picture on the left. I felt disgusted with myself. I thought I was in the OK weight range but it turns out I had gained quite a bit of fat. Because I lost consistency and thought I was doing the right things but I wasn’t. I was paying attention and giving importance to things that didn’t matter. I fell sick twice during February with Flu and ate whatever I saw and felt like crap. I’m not a huge advocate of the weighing scale because I go with how I feel but that night I stepped on the weighing scale at the Doctor’s office and saw 189 lbs. I felt even more disgusted. 189 lbs is not good for someone at my height 5’8″. My body fat percentage was high. I don’t even want to talk about the numbers that’s how shitty I felt.
I went back to the original P90X nutrition plan after getting a blood work done and starting drinking Holy Basil (Tulsi) tea at night for better sleep. I still struggle with sleep issues but Holy Basil (Tulsi) did help. I cut out evening coffee, I would have decaf instead. I stuck with 1900 calorie meal plan (which is very very low and not recommended for more than 2-3 weeks for a jump start) and put everything on MyFitnessPal app. I stopped protein bars altogether and ate only whole foods and protein shakes.
I went with the following calculations for goal body weight of 170 lbs.
Goal body weight in lbs = amount of protein in grams (170 grams of protein).
Goals body weight in lbs/2 = amount of fat in grams (85 grams of fat, I stuck to 65g – 70g for the first 3-4 weeks).
Remainder calories are from carbohydrates starting with veggies, fruits and complex carbohydrates. I added Shakeology® as a snack during the day. [Shakeology is a superfood protein shake (and you can buy from this website also) that has a combination of Greens (Spinach, Kale, etc.), Adaptogens (Ashwagandha, Holy Basil (Tulsi), Astragalus, Gingko, etc.), Protein (Choice of Vegan/Whey), and no artificial sweeteners].
In about 4 weeks I lost 8 lbs and 5 lbs in the next 4 weeks and now I’m at 176 lbs and the weight is not dropping any more. So I’ve increased my calories to 2100 about 2 weeks back and 2300 starting yesterday and once a week I go super high carbohydrates. You can perhaps call this method carb-cycling.
Also the training in doing is to get ready for the Spartan Race so it involves Insanity The Asylum, one day of relatively lower heart rate lifting and outdoor training over the weekends.
Two reasons why I’m posting this
- Sometimes home based programs can get redundant and we need to find a performance oriented goal in order for us to shift our perspective from weight to performance and the shift in weight becomes a by product of the performance goal (hope that makes sense). Most folks I coach have the weight as their goal. I highly recommend keeping a performance goal such as doing more pull ups, or push ups or running a 5K and it’ll help you get a perspective shift and the weight happens without keeping that on your mind constantly.
- We are all humans and it’s all about consistency. If you don’t go to your office, your paycheck stops coming in, it’s as simple as that. Fitness is truly a lifestyle and you have to pick a program or a goal that you look forward to. If it becomes a chore, then you need to continue searching and trying until you find that particular program that excites you. It could be Lifting, HIIT, Crossfit, Running, Calisthenics, Dancing, Yoga, Pilates, etc. Or perhaps a hybrid of some of these aspects. It’s important to enjoy the journey.
** Disclaimer – The nutrition plan has been designed by me keeping the P90X guide in mind and I kept it extremely simple. I’m not a certified nutritionist. Please speak with your doctor or nutritionist to help you with your eating plan and the amount of calories you need depending upon your blood work and activity level. Please keep in mind that eating less calories puts your body into starvation mode and it becomes difficult to lose weight if you stay on a caloric deficit for a long time.
Keep pushing play. Keep hustling!
Love and Gratitude,
I write from my heart.
I'd write even if no one was reading.
"Offending people since 1977"
Latest posts by Coach V (see all)
- “Hichki” – Not a “Taare Zameen Par” but an experience of its own - March 27, 2018
- Seeking Fulfillment and not Validation - February 19, 2018
- My Inability To Maintain Relationships - January 28, 2018